Thursday, January 10, 2013
It's with bittersweet feelings that I announce the farewell of my beloved blog, Makeup Junkie. It's hard to believe I started MJ 6 years ago. I can still remember sitting at my computer and publishing my first post and feeling bright-eyed and optimistic about belonging to the beauty blogging world. The countless people I've met, boxes and boxes of products I've tried, tested, and stashed, the awesome press mentions and the events I've been able to attend will forever be apart of my life and I am truly, truly, grateful.
Each and every one of you that I've met, become friends with, and conversed with virtually will remain near and dear to my heart always. It's been a blast being able to share my love of beauty with so many. Thank YOU the readers who take time out of your day to read this wee lil' blog. Without you, my addiction to makeup would seem pointless! I adore you and will be forever touched by the support you have given me over the years. Thank you to the many amazing PR reps who have generously fed my love of beauty products. Trust me, I will miss being able to try all the newest launches but even I know there comes a time when all good things must come to an end.
I had no idea where Makeup Junkie would take me or where I would take MJ, but that has been the fun of writing this blog. I feel like you've watched me grow from a young, wide-eyed beauty blogger girl and blossomed into this confident, drop-dead-sexy WO-MAN...NOT! Joking aside, I've definitely changed over the years which is why I've made the decision to close this chapter of my life. Why now at the start of a new year? It just feels right and I finally feel ready. It's crossed my mind over the last couple of years, but more so in the last month. I've decided to refocus my energy on spending more quality time with my husband and 2 boys and putting more time into my makeup career and other new ventures.
You'll still be able to catch me writing about beauty on my personal makeup artist blog, The Joy Of Makeup and on Glow Canada so do stop by and say "hi"! And I'll still be on Twitter so holla and follow me on Instagram - I finally ditched the Crackberry!
Again, many many thanks for sharing your beauty addictions with me and letting me share mine with you! Thank you for making my life richer and fuller. May 2013 and beyond bring you lots of love, happiness and very many pretty things! Farewell my Makeup Junkies!
Joy a.k.a. THE Makeup Junkie
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Happy New Year Makeup Junkies! Benefit Cosmetics is starting 2013 just right with these absolutely gorgeous kits exclusively available at Sephora! From sultry eyes to glowing skin, there's definitely something for all your beauty needs.
I'm a huge fan of Benefit and I've tried almost all their products. These kits do not disappoint. The World Famous eye kits are so wearable you really can't go wrong. You have the option of layering the creaseless cream shadows with the longwear powder shadows or wearing them on their own. Lets not forget about the countless looks you can create. There are a good mix of shimmery and matte shades so it will carry you from day to night. Easiest Nudes Ever is a good basic kit, Glamorous Nudes Ever is nice for going more bronzey, and Sexiest Nudes Ever has nice plum shades for when you want to kick up a neutral eye a notch.
The All-Star Kits are Benebabe helpers because everyone can use a little help here and there. I love the deluxe travel sizes they come in because they fit so perfectly in my makeup bag or kit. If you're new to the brand, these are great sample kits to try. Primping With The Stars contains products that focus on giving you an overall polished look that will last all day. Do The Bright Thing will help enhance your eyes while giving you the most gorgeous glow. The Bronze of Champions will give your winter pale skin some life by adding warmth to the skin.
1. Benefit World Famous Neutrals: Easiest Nudes Ever ($36 CAD)
3. Benefit World Famous Neutrals: Sexiest Nudes Ever ($36 CAD)
4. Benefit Primping With The Stars ($38 CAD)
5. Benefit Do The Bright Thing ($38 CAD)
6. Benefit The Bronze of Champions ($38 CAD)
What Benefit kit are you lusting after?
Products were sent for editorial consideration and I truly love them.
Monday, December 31, 2012
It's NYE! I don't know about the rest of you, but time just zoomed by! 2012 was an amazing year and like I say every year, the next year will be even better. I hope the rest of you Makeup Junkies have had a fantastic 2012 and I thank you for being apart of my world! Wishing you much love, peace and happiness for 2013!
Before I say peace out on my last post for 2012, check out some gorgeous NYE looks and beauty items you'll need to ring in the new year!
NYE is the time to let loose, forget about all your 2012 woes, and get a little crazy. Go a little bolder with your makeup and have some fun with some jewel tones on the eyes and nails!
1. YSL Pure Chromatics Wet/Dry Eye Shadow in Arctic Night: I am loving these new palettes from YSL. These satiny metallic powders are intensely pigmented wet or dry. Arctic Night is a collectors palette from the holiday collection. The shades are a mix of icy blues and a plum purple. For a NYE look that will get you noticed, apply the purple across the lid and the dark blue shade on the outer crease and along the lash line for a sultry effect. Highlight the inner corners with the icy silver-blue.
2. Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Curviest Caramel: I am all about the chubby lip pencils these days. The new Chubby Stick Intense lippies are amazing - pure pigment and shine. If you take a peek into my purse, you'll see a few Chubby Intense sticks in there. Curviest Caramel is the perfect shade for a jewel-toned smokey eye. Some might say it's the perfect nude lip. It has the right combination of pink and beige mixed together but leaning more beige. If you'll be snapping a lot of photos, you still want your nude lips to look visible!
3. Maybelline Fashion Print Nail Stickers in Sapphire Jewels: Nail stickers are my new favourite mani-on-the-go. It requires no drying time and is really easy to do. Simply choose the right shape for your nail, press, and file to your nail shape. Thankfully the ones from Maybelline aren't terribly tacky and look pretty funky. I tried out Sapphire Jewels today and did it in less than 20 minutes while watching a toddler! Here's the only downfall: don't expect to be doing any outdoorsy activities with these stickers! They started to peel off as soon as I pulled my boots on before leaving the house. However, these are perfect for standing around and looking pretty at a NYE party! The patterns are sure to get conversations going and your nails will look like you actually put some time and effort into them!
Prefer something glam but a little rock 'n roll? Nothing says it better than a little smudgy liner and a bold lip!
1. Annabelle Roll On Eye Shadow/Liner in Brown: I was never a fan of roll-on eye shadows until now. I always found that the colour was hard to get out onto the roller or it was lacking in pigment. I don't believe this one from Annabelle is out yet, but be sure to add Brown to your must-have list. This shade is the perfect neutral and the intense shimmer kicks it up a notch. If you need more of the product just give it a little shake. If it rolls on to much in one area, take a brush or your finger and pat it across your lid. Always use a patting motion for loose shadows - you'll get less fall off and more pigment. To contour the crease, use a matte neutral shade to balance the shimmer. The liner fell a little flat for me. It was a little watery and needed a few layers to give it intensity. Otherwise, both the shadow and liner lasted all night on me! I used it for my family Christmas Eve party here.
2. Marcelle Kajal Kohl Pencil: Kajal liners are becoming a new makeup staple. I am loving this water-proof, intense black from Marcelle. I don't think this has launched yet, but will be in the new year. For rock 'n roll glam eyes, you don't want a strong black smokey eye and a bold lip. It will look overkill. Instead, opt for smudgy liner by lining the top inner lash line otherwise known as "tight lining". Just flip your lid up and line the base of your lashes. Then line the bottom water line, close your eyes tightly, then line again. Load up on the mascara or use some falsies.
3. Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro in The Red: Ok, so I'm kinda in love with the new Lip Maestros. My lips are loving the velvety smooth texture and the creamy, matte finish. They don't accentuate dry or chapped lips, but if you're doing a red lip it's always best to make sure your lips are in tip top shape. The slightly angled sponge makes the application easier, but if you do mess up don't try wiping it off with your finger (like I did). It'll just smear and these don't budge. It's best to take a cleansing water on a q-tip or moisturizer on a q-tip to remove it. Then touch up with a bit of a concealer. These also don't feather or bleed so while you're sipping on your champagne you won't have to think about your lips looking messy!
What will your last look of 2012 be?
Products were sent for editorial consideration and I truly love them.